year 2, Issue 1 (Spring 2008)                   Iran J Med Microbiol 2008, 2(1): 31-36 | Back to browse issues page

XML Persian Abstract Print


Download citation:
BibTeX | RIS | EndNote | Medlars | ProCite | Reference Manager | RefWorks
Send citation to:

Douraghi M, Mohammadi M, Shirazi M, Esmaili M, Bababeik M, Saberi Kashani S, et al . Assessment the relationship ofcagAgene with different gastroduodenal diseases in Helicobacter pyloriinfected patients. Iran J Med Microbiol. 2008; 2 (1) :31-36
URL: http://ijmm.ir/article-1-110-en.html
1- Deptartment of Pathobiology, School of PublicHealth, Medical Sciences/University of Tehran
2- Helicobacter pylori Research Group, Biotechnology Research Center, Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran
3- Helicobacter pylori Research Group, Biotechnology Research Center, Pasteur Institute of Iran, Tehran , mhshirazi@sina.tums.ac.ir
Abstract:   (44519 Views)
Background and objectives: The gastric pathogen Helicobacter pylori is introduced as an etiologic agent of gastritis and peptic ulcer and is associated with development of gastric adenocarcinoma. One of the most studied virulence marker of H. pylori is cytotoxin-associated gene A (cagA) with significant geographical heterogeneity around the world. This study was undertaken to assess the status of cagA gene of H .pylori strains infecting Iranian patients suffering from various gastrointestinal diseases and to evaluate the detection of this gene as a screening marker of high-risk patients.
Material and Methods: In this study, 180 patients (Mean age: 44 years) with upper gastrointestinal manifestations referred for endoscopy to Amir-Alam Hospital or Cancer Institute in Tehran were included. Among one hundred twenty H. pylori infected patients 81, 17 and 22 had non–ulcer dyspepsia (NUD), peptic ulcer disease (PUD), and gastric carcinoma (GC) respectively. Tissue samples were homogenized and incubation was performed up to 5 days. Identification was based on morphology under Gram staining and biochemical tests. The status of conserved region of cagA gene was determined by gene specific PCR. For statistical analysis, χ2 test was used.
Results: Among the 180 of studied patients, 120 H. pylori strains were isolated. One hundred and one (84.2%) of the tested strains were positive for cagAand the remaining strains (15.8%) were negative. All of gastric cancer cases were infected with cagA-positive strains. The cagA-positive strains were significantly associated with GC as compared with NUD (p < 0.05) but this association did not gain statistical significance for other clinical outcomes.
Conclusion: Although the possession of cagA is associated with GC when compared to NUD, due to the uniform distribution of cagA in all other disease categories detection of cagA alone can not be considered as a discriminative marker for a specific clinical outcome. Hence, the study ofother virulence determinants and functional characteristics of cagA gene might be necessary for screening high risk patient
Full-Text [PDF 171 kb]   (2351 Downloads)    
Type of Study: Original | Subject: Medical Bacteriology
Received: 2013/11/14 | Accepted: 2013/11/14

Add your comments about this article : Your username or Email:
CAPTCHA

Send email to the article author


© 2019 All Rights Reserved | Iranian Journal of Medical Microbiology

Designed & Developed by : Yektaweb